Sunday, September 14, 2008

Letter of Recommendation

I wrote this letter of recommendation for a student at St. Mary's High School. One of my friends thought I should post the letter on this blog. I hope you enjoy the letter. 

December 19, 2006


Mr. Dave Stapleton
Head Baseball Coach
Grand Canyon University
3300 W. Camelback Road
Phoenix, AZ 85017


Dear Mr. Stapleton,


I am writing this letter of recommendation for Gabriel Servin, a senior at St. Mary’s High School in Phoenix, Arizona. I have known Gabe since his freshman year at St. Mary’s, where I teach freshman and sophomore theology. There are so many good qualities and characteristics to say about this student, I hardly know where to begin.

I can honestly say that Gabe has developed from a young boy into a responsible, passionate, and genuine man. He has the strength and integrity that all people should strive for in their life on this earth. Although a reserved man, Gabe walks with the presence of a prince and is one of the most humble high school students I have ever encountered. In every endeavor he takes on, Gabe puts his whole heart and person into the project. For every project Gabe is involved in, he is the foundation and cornerstone. I have yet to see him do anything halfheartedly. From his work as President of the Senior Class, his responsibilities as an athlete on the football and baseball fields, to his work with the Columbian Squires, and his work in his youth group, Gabe is a natural born leader and truly is an adult among adolescents. He is responsible and his work ethic is unprecedented.

Not only is Gabe a hard worker, he is a genuine and sincere person. As I have watched him grow into the man he has become, I can say with my whole heart that God is present within him. He tirelessly places other before himself and does all that he can when asked to help others. In a year where he has been through some family difficulties, Gabe remains strong is his faith to God. He is a virtuous man with heroic qualities and the Kingdom of God will notice him and be grateful because he is among the saints in heaven.

I hope and pray that Grand Canyon University will allow this student to be an integral piece of your family for the next four years. If given admission to your university, Gabriel Servin will impress you as he has impressed me and every other teacher at St. Mary’s over the past four years.


Sincerely,



Thomas J. Perna

Freshman and Sophomore Theology Teacher
Moderator – Sophomore Class and Columbian Squires

1 comment:

Christina said...

Thanks for posting this! You know how much I loved it...