Wednesday, August 13, 2008

New Beginnings & Remembering the Past

It was my intention to begin this blog last night, but after arriving late at my destination, I chose to put it off until today.  I am half through my trip to the Franciscan University of Steubenville. For the next two years, I will be studying Theology and Catechetics at one of the most CATHOLIC schools in the United States.  Honestly, I am so excited I can't sit still. Sleeping at night has been difficult because I want to arrive to Ohio as soon as I can.  Patience is not my thing, but I have to be patient. 

Personally, my heart is heavy because I am leaving behind my mom, dad, friends, and students at SM. My parents saw me off yesterday and it was an emotional time. The three of us went through this 11 years ago when I started at the University of San Francisco. My parents are the two most important people in my life. Their support for me over the 34 years of my existence is unspeakable. They support, support, and support. Although they are having a difficult time with my departure, they know (at least they say it), how important this second masters is for me.  I am also leaving at an important time in my sister's (Carla) life. Her boyfriend (Brandon) recently proposed to her and they are in the beginning stages for the marriage. I pray that all goes well as they begin their marriage preparation. 

My friends -- I will miss you as well. Thanks Phil & Amy for my going away party on Saturday night. The two of you have always been such good friends to me. Phil, we go back to USF and the bonfire parties at the beach when nobody wanted to go out that night. We always made a party happen. Pat (Patricio Juan Pedro) - thanks for always being such a great friend. Like Philly Boy, we go back many years.  Garibaldi - I was glad to see you come to Phoenix and working with you for the past 3 years. With Christina, bringing the zeal of JP II to SM was challenging and also rewarding.  Pate - we partied in Scottsdale before it was Scottsdale. You have always been a loyal friend. We have to thank Quinn for introducing us to one another years ago. (Bear Down!)

To all the students who have graduated or are currently at SM -- remember always that Our Lord and his Blessed Mother will always love you. Pray for me as I pray for you. The Morning Crew: Yeager, Butts, Paige, Jaime, Sydney, Christina, Abby, Ober, Sarah, and Rodia (RIP).  Graduates: Emilio - a young adult with a heart of service and obedience. I will pray for you and your time at CU. Ciani - another powerhouse, strong character and a natural born leader. Amy Povinelli - one of my first students at SM and the most faithful student in the Class of 2007. Continue to be strong in your Catholicism. 

On a personal note, I wish I would have paid more attention in my high school geography class. On this trek I am driving through places that I remember from geography, but can't remember all the details and the importance of the locations. Mrs. Pearl would not be pleased with me. 
;-) 




2 comments:

The Winterings said...

Love the blog......what a great way to keep us updated on Primetime Perna. Cannot wait to hear how you are doing as you embark on this great journey! you are always in our prayers!! With love, Erika, Dan and little G rose

Christina said...

Awesome! I hope you'll post the letter about Gabe someday...