Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Week of Classes at Franciscan - Fall 2009

Well I just finished my first week of classes or should I say my first two days of classes. I only have class this semester on Tuesday and Thursday. I am very excited for my courses this semester. I am now taking Biblical Foundations with Dr. John Bergsma (I had him for PBS 1 & 2 - great prof!). Grace and Virtue with Dr. Regis Martin - this class is going to be very good. I like his poetic style of teaching. And today I just added Catholic Theology of Tradition and the Development of Doctrine with Dr. Steven Hildebrand (he honestly scares me a bit..ha ha). I was taking a course on the Catholic Philosopher, Dietrich Von Hildebrand, but chose to drop that course. I know my limits and what I am capable of and I was not going to do well in this class since it's a high level philosophy course. Even though I have a B.A. in Philosophy, this class was over my head. I can admit that and feel fine with it. I will read the books from the class though on my own time.

The books for each of my classes all look fantastic and just packed full of orthodoxy. Particularly, I am looking forward to read Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI, Letter and Spirit by Dr. Scott Hahn, and The Meaning of Tradition by Yves Congar, O.P. This book should help me with my dialogue I am having with the young Baptist missionary (see A Baptist Knocking At My Door on this blog). I am excited to read all of my texts, but these three caught my attention.

Those of you who are read this blog, please keep me in your prayers. I am praying whether or not I should study in Rome in the Spring. There are some obstacles in my way at the moment. If I don't go to study in Rome, I might take a trip in May to Rome. Please pray for me as I begin another semester here at Franciscan. You are in my prayers as well.

I am off to have a beer and cigar on my front porch.

No comments: