Monday, August 3, 2009

Applied Biblical Studies, Defending the Faith, Steve Ray, and Fr. Benedict Groeshcel

Wow! That is all I can say after experiencing the Applied Biblical Studies Conference, the Defending the Faith Conference, Steve Ray and Fr. Benedict Groeschel.

Over this summer, as I was taking courses here at Franciscan, I was working the Summer Conferences. Although all of the conferences were very good, the last two (ABS and DTF) were what I was anticipating all summer long. The reason I was so excited was because some of the best theologians in the Church today were coming to these two conferences. Since I was working during these two conferences, I ordered CD's I would have liked to attend.

During ABS, I was able to meet and speak with Dr. Edward Sri, David Currie, and Dr. Jeffery Morrow. Dr. Sri and David Currie also signed a book that each of them wrote. It was such a surreal experience to speak theology with these men.

During DTF, I was given the opportunity to pick up from the airport, Steve Ray. Ever since I started teaching theology at St. Mary's High School, I have wanted to meet Steve Ray. Over the past six years, I had emailed him a few times. After his flight was delayed for nearly 2 hours, he arrived at the Pittsburgh Airport. On the car ride back to Franciscan we spoke about many things. It was such a great experience to meet him. He is really down to earth. I thanked God that day that we have him in the Catholic Church and for the work he is doing.

Although meeting these great men was fantastic, I would say that driving Fr. Benedict Groeschel to the airport at 5:30 am. on Sunday morning was by far one of the most memorable experiences I have had as a Catholic. Yes - I did see John Paul II three times, but never sat with him like I did with Fr. Groeschel. Below is my account of the car ride with Fr. Groeschel --

I arrived at the Holiday Inn at 5:15 am. Fr. Groeschel and his assistant (David I want to say) came to the lobby where I was waiting at 5:30 am. Fr. Groeschel shook my hand and asked if we had met before. I kindly said, "no, we have never met." After getting Fr. into the car, he blessed 3 plastic bags I had of rosaries and other religious items (one was my bag and 2 friends had given me bags as well). He also signed one of this books for me - "Praying in the Presence of Our Lord - Prayers for Eucharistic Adoration." By this time, I was shacking a bit. It was such a blessing to be in his presence. He asked me if I had a wife, I said no, and he replied by saying, "Okay. Me either." All three of us laughed at his comment.

It was raining the morning I picked him up. As I began to drive down University Blvd, Fr. asked me where I was from. I told him Arizona is home, but I was born in New Jersey. He continued to ask where in New Jersey. As I told him the town of Woodridge in Bergen County, he couldn't believe it. He was born in Jersey City, but lived in Woodridge for a short period. Fr. Groeschel was Baptized in the same church where I received my First Holy Communion - Our Lady of the Assumption. He said he had never met anyone from Woodridge before and I concurred with him.

As we began to drive on the freeway to the airport, Fr. said a blessing for our short trip. All I could think of was stay focused on the road! To be able to pray with such s holy man was making my mind race in a million different directions. Fr. asked where I received my undergraduate degree. I told him I went to the University of San Franciscco with the Jesuits, his response was - Good Lord! We both laughed a bit. I went on to explain to him that the only reason I attended USF was because of the St. Ignatius Insitute. He responded with great enthuaism and said, Fr. Joe's program was fantastic and that I received a great education then. We also talked about how the program was destroyed in 2001 and that he spoke about it on his EWTN program. He then continuned to ask me about how I got to Franciscan and what I was interested in doing after working on my M.A. in Theology. I told him that I have a real passion for the Scriptures and that Apologetics was entering the picture again and that although I loved teaching high school, I was hoping to work for a lay apostolate. I said to him that I think the Lord might be telling me something and he completely agreed. He said that I should look into Catholic Answers.

Furthermore, we talked about a Baptist missionary who had come to my door recently and how I emailed him. Fr. said, "he is looking to convert you, but really you will convert him." He spoke a bit of the Early Church Fathers - St. Irenaeus, St. Polycarp, and St. Ignatius of Antioch. Fr. said that the Protestants leave off at St. Paul and start up again at Martin Luther. They completely leave out 1500 years of Christian history. I was thinking to myself - No way! I am talking about the theology of the Early Church Fathers with Fr. Benedict Groeschel.

He asked me about what classes I had enjoyed at Franciscan. I told him that Mary in the Modern World was probably my favorite so far and how it changed my relationship with the Blessed Mother. He liked hearing that he said. We also spoke about my course the Nature of Love and the texts I had read in that class. I told him that I really enjoyed Dietrich Von Hildebrand's book - The Heart. We spoke briefly about him and his contributions. He mentioned that he knows Alice Von Hildebrand. The two of them sat on Franciscan's Board of Trustees at one point together. I told about the book - "A Severe Mercy" by Sheldon Vanauken. I explained the thesis of the book and how the love of Van and Davy although a great love on many levels was flawed and inconsistent with Christian thought. We also spoke about Karl Adam's - "The Spirit of Catholicism." I told him I was amazed how I found teachings of Vatican II in his book. Fr. agreed with me and had some rather great points to give me.

By this time, we had entered the airport and our car trip was coming to an end. As I pulled up to the Delta curb, his assistant got out of the car to get a wheelchair for Fr. Groeschel. Fr. then gave me a blessing and told me that he would pray to Mother Teresa for me. He told me that I would do good things for the Church soon. I got out of the car and helped him into the wheelchair. He shook my hand and say good-bye. His assistant gave me a hug, said God Bless you, and asked me to pray for him. I walked back over to the driver side of the car and realized I had tears rolling down my face. I got into the car and began to weep slightly. I drove off thinking how blessed I have been since coming to Franciscan.

I hope you enjoyed this blog entry!

In Christ through Mary!



3 comments:

Jen Brown said...

That is really great, Tommy! I'm so glad you got a chance to meet these great men. It is my honor to serve them, but more so to be inspired to do great things for God, to not sit on my duff, but give my life for His service.

I'm so glad you had this opportunity!! Thanks for sharing.
Jen

BK said...

Tom, nice write up. Sounds like quite a good experience for you. God Bless!

Lou's mom said...

What a joy to read of your car ride with Fr G. I was at the DTF conference (I came with an unruly group of 14 women, the ones with the matching tshirts...together, we have 78 children!)and went to Steve Rays presentation in the chapel. I came close to meeting Fr G but my role turned out to be taking a photo of him with my dear friend, she was so happy for the picture and I was happy to oblige.

My son returns for his Jr year at FUS in a week or so...I am so blessed to have such a wonderful place for him to go.

Keep up the good work with the apologetics...I am a convert myself and count each faithful Catholic along my way as a great gift.